Friday, September 30, 2011

A Couple Cool Things

 Shockingly immoral books
My Monday started out pretty interesting. It was ALA's Banned Books Week. I was in charge of putting on the Read-Out, which is a common way to celebrate (people get together and read passages from their favorite challenged or banned book). I got up before class, and got to my e-mail to find 1.) an e-mail from the Daily Texan requesting to cover the event and 2.) an e-mail sent out to the Ischool's listserv calling for a protest of the event! The e-mail was from another student who is sort of known for having a worldview that differs from most librarians. He basically said Banned Books Week is about celebrating placing age-inappropriate materials into the hands of children. All the work I meant to get to was placed on hold while I dealt with the PR.

 Luckily, no protesters showed up and we had a pleasant read-out. Actually, I didn't do as much promotion for the event as I'd wished, but the call for a protest sort of did the promotion for me. The Daily Texan article is here.

 Even cooler news: Blondie! My seats were not this good, I'm just lucky to have an amazing camera.


I'll leave you with that. Lots of work to get done this weekend! I'm looking forward to a Dutch Baby for Sunday brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment